25 Years' Experience
Supporting Staff and Parents
Hope, Connection and Change
Family, Individual and Couples Therapy
Supervision and Training
“Stephen has helped our family tremendously…” His soft-spoken, inquisitive approach, helped us get to the roots of some of the issues we were struggling with. His knowledge of child learning, and overall family behaviors is deep. Our child looks forward to their time speaking with Stephen regularly. We highly recommend him.”-Family Client
Children, Teenagers and Families:
- Behavior Problems
- Legal Problems
- Substance Abuse
- Family Conflict
- School Problems (Behavior, Grades, and Attendance)
- Depression and Anxiety
- ADHD and Bipolar Issues
- Single Parenting
- College Life / Transitions
- Divorce Process and Life After
- Emotion Regulation Difficulties
- Issues Related to Oppression and Social Identity – Sexual Orientation, Gender, Race, etc
- Abuse and Neglect
- Relationship Issues
- Fathering Issues / Support
- Depression and Anxiety
10 Ways I Can Help:
- Focusing on strengths, not just problems
- Finding the seeds of change within the problems themselves
- Identifying the direction you want to go in and helping you get there
- Focusing on solutions that reflect your values and your actual life circumstances
- Being a friendly, practical “team player” who advocates for you and your family
- Understanding “what works” having worked with many issues over the years
- Facilitating changes that last after therapy is over.
- Offering new ideas, understanding and strategies
- Supporting you to feel better within 3 sessions*
- Genuinely caring about you and your family!
*Results may vary but generally you will experience more hope and support within the first few meetings – no one needs one more place to feel unhappy and therapy should be helpful – not another source of stress!
“Stephen’s practice is more than just fifty minutes in an office…..” He is willing to work with whole families in order to put the child’s needs in context and to best tailor his approach to each child’s unique situation. His work is trauma-informed, comprehensive, and systematic; he is as interested in the impact of trauma on a child’s neuropsychological development as he is in the effect of the child’s family structure on how she relates to the adults in her life. He is open to feedback and always willing to try new strategies if something doesn’t work. Stephen has consistently approached my child as a whole person with integrity and a mind and opinions all her own. I credit much of her growth to his skillful work with her and his ability to bring her very complex and diverse family together to work as a team on a common project – meeting her needs.”-Parent of Child Client
- I’ve been in practice as a family and individual therapist for over 25 years
- I have been independently licensed in MA, VT and CT.
- I graduated from the University of Massachusetts with a Master’s in Counseling
- I graduated from Smith College School for Social Work with a Master’s of Social Work.
- I received my family therapy training at the Family Institute of Cambridge
- I received individual therapy training at the Stone Center at Wellesley College.
- I’ve worked in school, agency, community, college, hospital, emergency room and residential settings.
- I’m a former Outward Bound Instructor with the Hurricane Island Outward Bound School
- I am a former Peace Corps volunteer.
- I bring the unique perspective from these experiences to my work with families and individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- I am on the adjunct faculty at Smith College School for Social Work
- My approach is strength-based.
- I work to identify the challenges your family faces, and more importantly, the strengths and resources that your family has for resolving problems.
- I have worked a great deal with “teens in trouble.”
- I will offer your family a lot of support and some practical ideas for helping things to get better.
- I’ve had advanced postgraduate training in Narrative Therapy, Multi-Systemic Therapy, and the Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics©
- I have worked with and supported many clients to get on safer, steadier ground in their lives and move forward in a safe, positive, and productive way through some of life’s most challenging problems.
- I am happy to talk with you further about my practice, style or approach, so feel free to call and we can schedule an appointment!
My office is centrally located in a relaxing professional building at 8 Trumbull Rd, Northampton MA 01060
I currently accept clients with the following insurance plans:
- Mass Health:
-HNE Be Healthy
- Blue Cross Blue Shield – All MA and PPO Plans
- United Behavioral Health (Harvard Pilgrim, etc)
- Beacon / GIC Indemnity Plan
- Health New England
Stephen J. Bradley LICSW, LMHC
- Licensed as an LICSW and LMHC in Massachusetts
- Specializing in Family Therapy and practice with children and adolescents, and integrating neurodevelopmental trauma-informed frameworks into practice with youth
- 2o years in non profit agencies working in outpatient, crisis, intensive home-based, juvenile justice, DCF, residential and school settings with youth and families.
- Experience working with “complex” cases that involve large systems.
- Offering supervision towards licensure for LICSW, LMHC
- Certificate of Advanced Clinical Supervision from the Smith College School for Social Work
- Supervision Hours in Flexible Packages with Variable Rates Depending on the Number Of Hours You Need
“His breadth of knowledge is an inspiration…..”
“Stephen is absolutely amazing. He is incredibly dedicated and genuinely wants us to grow as clinicians. His breadth of knowledge is an inspiration. He never shied away from confronting difficult or stigmatized issues. I appreciated his honesty and respect his willingness to be challenged by students, as well. I wish he could be my practice professor for the next two summers.”MSW Student Smith College School for Social Work 2014