What is the Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics©?
- The NMT™ was developed by Dr. Bruce D. Perry, M.D., Ph.D. The Child Trauma Academy in TX is the organization that trains practitioners around the world in the use and application of the model.
- The NMT™ is an assessment process which is most helpful for kids who struggle with complex behavioral health needs – specifically children who require a strong trauma-informed approach to their treatment.
- The NMT™ process provides a comprehensive assessment which is used to tailor specific recommendations about therapeutic interventions to meet the needs of the youth being assessed.
- The NMT™ assessment process is particularly helpful for working with youth placed in residential settings, or struggling with finding stability in their current placements (in foster care, in their homes etc).
- You can download a more detailed description of the NMT™ above!
Who is Best Served by the NMT™?
- Youth and families who are “stuck” in school, foster care, residential, intensive home / community based programs, etc.)
- Youth who suffer from a variety of issues and problematic behaviors including Running, Self Injury, Aggression, Dissociation, Bullying, Difficulty Connecting with Others, Substance Use, School Performance Issues, Emotional Outbursts, Sensory Processing Issues etc.
- Youth from a variety of backgrounds (foster care, DCF / DYS involvement) who have experienced multiple placements and / or abuse / neglect
- Youth who have family / caregivers / staff who are able to implement the treatment plan / intervention strategies agreed on by the team during the consultation process.
How can the NMT™ Help?
- Decrease frequency and intensity of unwanted behaviors
- Increase a sense of “what to do” during crisis moments
- Increase understanding of child’s needs
- Increase strategies for calming down (for both caregivers and children)
- Provide understanding about “why this is happening” in a way that helps everyone feel stronger
- Increase success with “getting through” during difficult times
- Decrease overall family crisis
- Increase understanding of the capacity for recovery in traumatized youth and adults
- Offer a sense of hope and possibility to clients despite a long history of abuse
- Provide a system-wide approach to addressing developmental trauma
- Inform program design towards improved Trauma Competent Care.
- Prevent misdiagnosis when trauma symptoms are present
- Provide practical tools for assessing and decreasing trauma based behaviors and symptoms in children and families
- Provide practical tools for working with challenging classroom behaviors
- Increase understanding and strategies informed by how traumatized children learn best.
- Develop a classroom environment that helps meet children’s needs
- Increase effective communication with parents and providers
- Educate teachers about warning signs of trauma and mental illness
- Reduce student stress
To Learn More about the NMT™ Approach, Please watch the following YouTube videos below where Dr. Bruce Perry describes several key NMT™ concepts in brief (10 min) teaching sessions.
The Human Brain
Threat Response Patterns
State Dependent Functioning
Sensitization and Tolerance
“We are so glad he is now part of our son’s team…”
“Utilizing the Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics as developed by The ChildTrauma Academy, Stephen and his colleagues helped us to better understand the root causes of our son’s developmental challenges, and made some very practical recommendations to treat them. Stephen was thorough, caring and very easy to work with. We are so glad he is now part of our son’s team.”NMT Client / Family
Neurosequential Model of Therapeutics© Consultation Process:
Introductory Meeting (1 Session):
- Meet with parents / caregivers / youth and/or providers to talk about the referring issuesDiscuss and answer questions about the NMT™ consultation process
NMT Assessment Process: (2-3 Sessions)
- Gather comprehensive neuro-developmental history and current CNS functioning from parents / guardians / caregivers
- Meet briefly with youth (usually during last meeting)
Collateral Consultation: (1-3 Phone Calls / Sessions)
- Consult with other providers / school to gather further assessment information
Write Assessment, Generate Brain Map / Metric Report, Write Interpretation of the Metric Report (Approx 1 week)
Follow Up / Recommendations Review: (1 Session)
- Meet with parents / caregivers / youth and / or providers
- Review and discuss NMT™ Brain Map / Metric report and recommendations based on report
- Strategize around implementing recommendations.
30 Day Follow Up / Implementation Review: (1 Session)
- Assess barriers and progress to implementing NMT™ informed interventions / recommendations
- Adjust follow up plan as needed
Optional Follow Up Sessions (Varies)
Fees / Reimbursement:
- The following insurance plans cover the assessment and follow-up/ recommendations sessions: MBHP, HNE Be Healthy, Mass Health PCC, Health New England, BCBS
- There is a $175.00* fee for the Assessment, Metric and Interpretation of the Metric reports (these usually take 5+ hours to write, often run close to 30 pages and are not covered by insurance).
Private / self pay rates:
- $800* for all sessions / services up to and including the 30 day follow up.
- $110* / hour for follow-up sessions beyond the 30 day
*Reduced Fee Agreements are available on a case by case basis according to financial need.
“Stephen was and is an outstanding instructor!…..”
Stephen was and is an outstanding instructor! I found his instruction to be incredibly comprehensive and tangible. He was passionate about the content and brought in case examples, as well as providing students opportunity to bring in their own work, that was not only applicable, but touched on a variety of experiences and diverse identities, with attention to oppression. The realistic role plays should be integrated into EVERY course.MSW Student-Smith College School for Social Work 2016
Customize Your NMT™ Training
Below you will find a “menu” of training topic areas that the NMT™ approach focuses on. When putting together a training we can design the training to focus more on some areas than others (although all areas are important to understanding the model) in accordance with your setting / the needs of your work group. Participants will gain an understanding of assessment and treatment / intervention strategies that are consistent with the following topic areas:
- Brain Organization
- Principles of Neurodevelopment
- Memory and Development
- Relational and Reward Neurobiology
- Hyperarousal and Dissociation
- Sensitization and Tolerance
- State Based Functioning
- Specific Intervention Strategies Based on Neurodevelopmental Needs
Pre-Designed NMT™ Trainings
The following workshops have been pre-designed to draw from the above topic areas and represent a “typical progression” of topics when learning about NMT™
Introduction to the NMT™ (Half Day / 4 Hour Workshop)
Basic overview of NMT related concepts and intervention principles. Participants in this workshop will:
- Gain an understanding of Brain Development and Functional Domains of the brain as related to children with developmental trauma
- Gain an understanding of Sensitization and Tolerance and how these impact the response to stress
- Gain an understanding of Hyperarousal and Dissociation and ways to intervene with youth who demonstrate these threat response patterns
- Gain an understanding of the impact of State Based Functioning on children’s ability to respond to the demands of their environment
- Gain an initial understanding of how to tailor different types of intervention approaches based on state based functioning of youth
Core Concepts and Application of NMT™ Principles in Practice (Full day / 6.5 hour Workshop).
A more comprehensive introduction to the core concepts and application of NMT principles and intervention strategies. Participants in this workshop will:
- Gain the information and understanding from the Introduction to NMT™ workshop listed above
- Be able to differentiate between State Based and Stage Based Functioning
- Gain an initial understanding of the Brain Map / Metric and its role in the NMT™ treatment process
- Discuss and review case based illustrations of the model “in action”
- Further develop understanding about various intervention strategies / modalities used in conjunction with NMT™
Relational Neurobiology and NMT (Advanced Half Day / 4 Hour Workshop)
For participants who have completed the Core Concepts workshop, this workshop addresses the interface between attachment theory and brain development as related to clients who have experienced developmental trauma (abuse or neglect). Includes case based examples for discussion. Participants in this workshop will:
- Gain a better understanding about the impact of Neglect on neurodevelopment in children
- Gain an initial understanding of the role of Relational and Reward Neurobiology in shaping children’s responses to the demands of their environment.
- Gain understanding about the role of secure vs insecure attachment in shaping neuro-developmental trauma
- Gain an initial understanding about the application of NMT™ principles on intervention strategies in therapy with couples and families
NMT™ Case Consultation / Training Group (Advanced 6 Consultation Sessions / 1.5 Hours Each)
For up to 10 participants. Sessions will include case based discussions brought by participants who will:
- Practice applying NMT™ principles to their work with clients through case presentation, discussion and follow up
- Practice applying NMT™ principles to the assessment of developmental trauma on client functioning and presentation
- Discuss the identification of specific State and Stage Based themes in cases with developmental trauma histories
- Develop and practice applying strength based intervention strategies for cases
- Situate NMT assessment and intervention within a strength based, wraparound informed framework
- Discuss the application of NMT™ principles for clients in various settings (agency, private practice, school, etc)
The ChildTrauma Academy acknowledges that Stephen J. Bradley LICSW, LMHC has completed NMT™ Training Certification through the Phase I level. For more information on NMT™ Training Certification and the NMT™ Assessment Process, click here.